Carnivore, Moby Dick and Doktor Glas

Good afternoon!

Yesterday's work out did not leave me unmoved. That feeling that of a weak electrical current through the body, all the time. I like it! I'll try to get some Jane Fonda and stretch in later today. Has not been walking today, except at Bauhaus, due to the infernal raining. But we did put on some dancing music on our outstanding JBL Xtreme(add) and shook our bums for half an hour or so and that did the trick.

For dinner yesterday, there was beef liver and pork chops with cheese. Very good! I try to vary my protein sources. Eggs, fish, chicken, beef, pork and some intestines, from time to time. I use dairy products sparingly. A few drops of heavy cream in the coffee, butter for frying, hard cheese (rarely), blue cheese, fat and mozzarella.

In these holiday times, I also want to take the opportunity make a case for the old honest "book" as a pastime. I love to read and spend as much time as the house peace allows. (For a while last fall, I even did some audiobook readings at a company called Inläsningstjänst(ILT). It was very educational and sometimes quite fun but the salary was abysmal and it didn't suit me to sit still in an audio studio for hours at a time so I put it off.)

Fact books I read a lot but the classic novels I just can not live without. I recently finished Herman Melville's classic "Moby Dick"(add), which has escaped me all my years. Of course, I've seen John Huston's 1956 movie classic starring Gregory Peck as the avenging Captain Ahab, but I've never picked up the book until now. It was obviously sublime but does not appear on my top 10 list. Maybe not even the top 100! Is it because I have a little trouble relating to all nautical terminology, or just a matter of taste? Hard to say.

Anyway, I quickly moved on to the next book as I become slightly uneasy as soon as I don't have a fictional work at hand. This time I first had an eye on Randy Wayne Whites novels about Doc Ford (I have read all except the last three. A lot of manly stuff but it is a side of me that also needs love), but stumbled instead and borrowed home Hjalmar Söderberg's "Doctor Glass" from the library to my Letto(add). Doctor Glas I read almost thirty years ago and then only once. It was definitely a lovely reunion. I love how the classic Swedish novelists treat the language. Söderberg, Moberg, Boye, Martinsson, Selma Lagerlöf, Per Anders Fogelström to name but a few. Speaking of late reading experiences. The last two, Lagerlöf and Fogelström, I read them for the first time since I turned forty! Insanity! So of course, after reading "The Emperor of Portugal", I had to read through everything Selma wrote and Per Anders's "My Dreams City" suite, which my father has continually recommended since I was a little boy, I was completely engrossed in for a month. It's funny how it is, life.

Anyhow, I got the Letto for  my birthday a few years ago and have been using it extensively ever since. It is a perfect format to take on the subway on the way to work or on the journey to a distant land. If you do not use the "Frontlight" function too much, the battery life is about a week, or more depending on how much you use it otherwise. I have had some small problems downloading books directly to the tablet from Adlibris(add) homepage but then it was usually books in the SEK 10 class. A big plus, I think, is that, as I said, you can borrow books from the Library's website. All you need to do is create an account on Adobe and download Adobe Digital Edition. After that, just log into the library and start looking for available books in e-format. The range of books they have is somewhat limited but if you are not looking for something special, you can certainly keep reading for ever. A small note is also worth mentioning and that is that there is a limit of a maximum of five loans per seven day period. So that's that.

Well, that's probably enough for today. Tomorrow it might be a post about training, again. Only time will tell. I leave you with these thought-provoking lines:

I have stopped smoking,
drink and swearing.
I've started training
and eat healthy.
But unfortunately,
I still lie.


May the Fors be with you!!

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar

Renassaince Periodization

 Well folks! I've turned a new leaf. I am now an omnivore and a body builder. Today I started the first week of a Mesocycle(a period of ...

Popular Posts