Priority # 1 - SLEEP!

Good evening, everyone!

As I mentioned in a previous post, I think sleep is the most important thing for general health. I am well aware of individual differences and that, on an empirical basis, I can conclude that I belong to the group of people whose physiological programming is prone to problems if I ignore my need for sleep, but I also claim that there are very few who, under any meaningful amount of time, can get away with negligence when it comes to the "shutdown for maintenance" part of existence.

I have obviously, over the years, read countless research papers on the subject, but this is not the kind of blog where I cite research and indulge myself in complicated terminology, but it is about sharing my experiences as I followed these advice. This is to hopefully help someone, preferably several, to simplify life and feel better. That's all.

Some of the most important lessons I learned in the field, and which many experts agree on, are first and foremost that you go to bed and rise, at about the same time each day. This can fluctuate a little over the year as, for example, you tend to need to sleep more in the winter than in the summer. Then the blacking out of the bedroom is crucial. It should be TOTALLY pitch black, if possible. No flashing LED lights or alarm clocks with illuminated displays. All such nonsense must be covered or moved out of the bedroom.
 
Then it should be cool when you sleep. 18 ° Celsius, is recommended. Men and women are apparently a bit different here, too. The men like it cooler than the women. I have no AC in my bedroom so when it is hot outside, a lot of hot air accumulates upstairs, where our bedroom is located. I then have to actively think about heat evacuation quite early in the evenings in order for it to become tolerable. (sometimes I even take a cold shower or cold bath just before bedtime to come down extra in temperature) Cool duvet and a not too high pillow, is also recommended.

Then, we have all heard, the necessity to unwind from televisions, screens and other electronic equipment that emits blue light. The research is a little uncertain whether it is precisely the blue light or artificial light or artificial stimulus at all that is the culprit in the sleep drama, but to be on the safe side I end my screen activities a few hours before bedtime. As far as possible, I try to get the kids to hang out with some family games, sing and play music, or lie down and read a book. It goes quite well actually. We usually call it "Family Time".

These are probably the factors that, in my experience, play the biggest role for a good quality of sleep. Then there are such things as stress, diet, exercise etc. but this post would swell across all widths if I were to add all the side tracks that also have a impact but the fact that there is so much that influence your quality of sleep makes you realize how important sleep really is.

Lastly, I just want to mention some aids that I can't really say if they work or not. At least for me. One is Yogi Bedtime Rooibos Vanilla Tea(add).  Another is taking two tablespoons of Kung Markatta Ofiltrerad Äppelcidervinäger(add) and one cup of Glutamine(add) in half a glass of water a while before going to bed. To avoid "restless legs" and cramps during sleep, I can also recommend taking magnesiumtabletter(add). Supplementing with magnesium is good in general, too, as it is a mineral we are often deficient in.

P.S. I do not recommend drinking a lot of water just before going to bed. Having to go up and pee in the middle of the night is just disturbing true sleep and if you also light a lamp the body starts to register that it is morning and it becomes extra difficult to fall asleep. I try to take my last glass of water a few hours before bedtime, in connection with tea / vinegar drink or such intake.

It's Not About Being 
The Best
It's About 
Being Better 
Than
You Were Yesterday

   May the Fors be with you!

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar

Renassaince Periodization

 Well folks! I've turned a new leaf. I am now an omnivore and a body builder. Today I started the first week of a Mesocycle(a period of ...

Popular Posts